Incongruously located next to the heavily-touristed “Golden Lane” in Prague Castle is the Toy and Barbie Museum. It’s apparently the second-largest museum of its kind in the world. I cannot imagine that there is too much competition in that area, but one never knows….
For 60CZK (about US$3), it’s a welcome break from the medieval grandeur of the rest of the palace.
The museum is located in the Old Count’s Chambers, a grand old building. The first floor features some cool vintage toys from back when toys were made of real materials and meant to last.
Displays are quite well-done overall, with many groupings of cheezy characters, witness the stern bunnies below:
Although nearby Golden Lane (which we did not visit) is very crowded with tourists, the Toy Museum wasn’t too bad, with only a handful of people in each room.
The entire second level of the museum is dedicated to all things Barbie, from Barbie #1 (below) to pregnant Barbie (farther below) to a couture Barbie designed by Bob Mackie (yet farther below). As I have little to say about Barbie, I will let the photos do the remainder of the talking:
This quirky museum is worth checking out, even though it has absolutely nothing at all to do with Prague Castle.
- Part 1: Vysehrad
- Part 2: Vysehradsky hrbitov (Vysehrad cemetery)
- Part 3: Karluv Most (Charles Bridge)
- Part 4: Vaclavske namesti (Wenceslas Square)
- Part 5: Letecke Muzeum Kbely (Czech Air Force Museum)
- Part 6: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
- Part 7: Staromestske namesti (Old Town Square)
- Part 8: Prazsky orloj (Astronomical Clock)
- Part 9: Josefov (Jewish Quarter)
- Part 10: Vltava River
- Part 11: St. Nicholas Cathedral (Chram sv. Mikulase)
- Part 12: Wallenstein Palace (Valdstejnsky palac)
- Part 13: Kampa Island
- Part 14: Mala Strana street art
- Part 15: Petrin Hill
- Part 16: Mala Strana
- Part 17: Mala Strana house signs
- Part 18: Strahovský klášter (Strahov Monastery)
- Part 19: Schwarzenberský palác (Schwarzenberg Palace)
- Part 20: Toy Musuem <– You are here
- Part 21: St. Vitus Cathedral gargoyles
- Part 22: St. Vitus Cathedral (exterior)
- Part 23: St. Vitus Cathedral (interior)
- Part 24: Prazky Hrad (Prague Castle), I
- Part 25: Prazky Hrad (Prague Castle), II